The 11th annual BBQ Off the Bypass, presented by C&D Logistics in partnership with Johnston’s and Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store returns to Langley on September 11th along with the Great BC Bake Off. This free, family friendly event features live music, BBQ teams vying for a $5000 cash prize and best of all, complimentary samples of some delicious Southern style BBQ. Although this event is free, donations are encouraged and go to support this years charitable partner Tiny Kittens, a 100% volunteer run cat rescue centre.
BBQ Off The Bypass:
This years BBQ Off The Bypass features teams from Washington State, Montana, Saskatchewan and BC competing for a grand prize of $5000. They’ll be competing in 4 categories; chicken, brisket, ribs and pork, with some teams opting to compete in an additional category, black box. For the black box challenge, teams are given a box containing a few mystery ingredients, and are challenged to create a memorable dish showcasing each of the ingredients. Judged by local food personalities, the black box competition allows the teams to tap into their creative side. I was fortunate enough to be a judge for the Black Box competition last year, and it was such a fun addition to the event.
The Great BC Bake Off:
This year, I’m excited to be judging the Great BC Bake Off. Now in it’s 7th year, the Bake Off is an amateur pie baking competition open to the public. Home bakers are invited to submit their recipes in one of three categories, fruit pie, butter tart or anything pie, with the winner in each category taking home a $150 Gift certificate to Well Seasoned.
With all this talk about delicious BBQ and Pie, I didn’t think it would be fair to leave you without sharing a recipe with you. Here’s one of my favourite pie recipes that Well Seasoned was kind enough to share with me:
No Bake Peanut Butter Pie:
I’m a sucker for anything with Peanut Butter, especially if it includes chocolate and peanut butter cups. It’s no surprise that this pie has me drooling.
- 1 brick of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Crust:
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- For the Toppings:
- ½ cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared chocolate sauce
- 4 mini peanut butter cups, chopped
- To Make the Filling:
- Place the cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and whip on medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the cold cream into the bowl, in a thin stream, while continuing to whip on medium speed. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula and add the vanilla. Turn the speed up to high, and whip for about a minute more, until stiff peaks form.
- To Assemble:
- Place 3 tablespoons of cookie crumbs in the bottom of each
- Spoon the filling on top.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until it holds soft peaks.
- Layer about two tablespoons of whipped cream in each
- Serve cold.
For more delicious recipes, visit Well Seasoned’s recipe index. I hope to see you Off The Bypass.