Southwest Chicken Farro Salad with a sweet and spicy Honey Chipotle Dressing is a nutritious make-ahead salad that will leave you craving more.
Having completed a program in Sports Nutrition back in the fall, this year I decided to pursue my personal training certification. I love going to the gym and leaving feeling spent, yet ultimately strong and I love the idea of helping others find that strength, confidence and empowerment that comes with it.
With my school a couple nights a week and our kids regular activities, our house has been a bit busier than usual. Our dinners have been mostly simple, throw together meals, that while they’re a little boring, get the job done. Where I’ve been a little more creative is on the lunch front, with filling, nutritious salads taking centre stage. The past few weeks have called for a re-commitment to meal-planning with far more enthusiasm than I’ve felt in the past. Grains and proteins are cooked up on Sundays, greens are washed and the fridge is loaded with a ton of different veggies, all with the intent of making tasty, nutritious and quick lunches a no-brainer throughout the week.
This Chicken Farro Salad is one of my favourites from the past few weeks. Loaded with complex carbs, protein, veggies and topped with a sweet and spicy Honey Chipotle Dressing, it makes healthy eating easy to do and is completely delicious and satisfying.
- 1/2 Cup farro, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 Cup black beans
- 1/2 Cup chicken, grilled or baked
- 1/4 Cup corn, fresh or canned
- 1/4 Cup red peppers, diced
- 1/4 Cup cilantro
- 1/4 of one avocado
- 2 tbsp pickled onions
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Cook the farro and chicken and set aside to cool in the fridge.
- In the bottom of a salad bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the salad dressing.
- Add the farro, black beans, chicken, corn, red peppers and cilantro and stir to evenly coat the salad. Serve topped with avocado and pickled onions.