Easy to prep and delicious to eat, this Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad is a perfectly light meal for those hot Summer nights.
It’s Spring, it’s Spring, hooray!! I feel like I can finally put away those winter sweaters now that it’s warmed up and dried up a little. Last week we even had a crazy heat wave that came out of nowhere (and left just as quickly). I’m talking 27° C. To make matters even better, the kids had a couple extra days off school, so a few of us moms made it a beach day. I think it’ll go down in history as one of our earliest beach days ever. It was beautiful, relaxing and the vitamin D was so very needed.
After a day at the beach, the last thing I wanted to do was come home and stand over my stove making a heavy meal. So instead, I mixed up this summer version of chicken fajitas. Summer to me is often symbolized by lighter meals, less dishes and less time spent in the kitchen, so this meal fits right in. While the recipe does require you to plan a little bit ahead, the ingredients are few and the bulk of the work is in cutting the veggies and threading them onto skewers. If you have kids that are old enough, this would actually be a great recipe to work on with them. Getting kids helping out in the kitchen is one of the best ways to get them to eat their dinner with minimal fuss. It’s also a great way to help them learn about healthy eating habits. Plus, many hands make light work, so the chicken and veggies will be skewered in no time, making it a completely win-win situation 😉
Do you have a favourite, go-to Summer meal? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 lbs chicken breast
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 red peppers, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges, then separated
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 12 mushrooms (cut in half in they're too big.)
- 1 avocado
- 2 good handfuls of cilantro, chopped
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, zest and paprika.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the bowl.
- Stir well and refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to 4 hours).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin and onion powder. Add the peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Stir well to combine.
- Thread the chicken and seasoned vegetables onto skewers and place on a preheated grill. Cook until the chicken is cooked through (about 15-20 minutes) and the veggies are cooked to tendercrisp (10-15 minutes).
- Divide the chicken, vegetables and avocado between 4 plates and top with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Here are some more great recipes to help you celebrate the warmer days ahead: